Housemaid beats boss to a pulp in Lagos, steals money, property


Doctors at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja, are battling to save the life of a civil servant in the state, identified as Mistura, after she was allegedly attacked by her maid in the Ejigbo area.

Newsmen learnt that Mistura had been in a coma since Monday, March 5, 2018, when she was attacked with blended pepper and a wine bottle by the maid, identified as Susan Samson.

Our correspondent was told that despite a three-hour surgery on Wednesday, the victim had yet to come round and was in the intensive care unit of LASUTH.

It was learnt that Mistura, who taught in a public secondary school in Lagos, had employed Samson on February 4, 2018 to assist her with domestic chores.

The 18-year-old suspect was reported to have stolen her boss’ money last Friday and Saturday. After the stolen money was recovered from Samson’s bag, Mistura was said to have alerted the agent who brought her.

The Ogoja, Cross River State indigene, in a desperate bid to escape from the house, which Mistura had locked, allegedly poured blended pepper on the boss while she lay on the bed.

She then grabbed a champagne bottle and smashed it on the victim’s head repeatedly until she passed out. The suspect was reportedly apprehended by residents who heard the victim’s scream for help.

Newsmen were told that the suspect was handed over to policemen from the Ejigbo division. The victim’s husband,identified as Alhaji Sikiru, said he had gone to work when the incident happened.

He said, “An agent brought her to my wife on February 4, 2018. The girl said although she was from Ogoja, Cross River State, she had her primary and secondary education in Ikorodu, Lagos State, where she had lived the better part of her life.

“I had gone to work around 6am on Monday when my wife was attacked. But when I was called, I went to make a statement at the Ejigbo Police Station where the girl was being detained. That was where she told me everything that happened. She said last Friday, my wife accused her of stealing some money. Again on Saturday, there was an allegation she stole another money. I was surprised because my wife did not tell me that the maid she employed was stealing her things.”

He said the incident occurred while he was away.He concluded that the maid poured pepper and smashed bottle on his wife’s head in a bid to escape.


He noted that during a visit of the police to the house, they found more stolen items in the suspect’s room.

Alhaji Sikiru, while expressing fear over the condition of his wife, said he hoped she would make it out alive.

“She lost a lot of blood and I had to get six pints of blood yesterday (Tuesday). Because her blood level was low, the doctors gave her four pints so she could go through a surgery which started from 1am and ended around 4.30am on Wednesday. The surgery didn’t bring out anything. She is still in a coma.

“My wife is in the intensive care unit of LASUTH. Her brain has collapsed and has been removed from the body and kept somewhere. Her kidney is already packing up. I hope she makes it out alive,” he added.

It was gathered that the couple had a disagreement late 2017 over the issue of getting a maid as the husband was against the idea. The source said the dispute was so intense that some relatives had to wade in.

“The woman has high blood pressure and her personal doctor told the husband in January that the woman’s BP was still high but she said she would be better if he allowed her to have a maid. That was when the man succumbed. But see what it has caused,” she said.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Chike Oti, said it was a case of attempted murder.

He said, “The said Susan Samson suspected that her boss had discovered some items she stole and hid in her room. She subsequently mixed a large quantity of pepper in water and poured it on the woman’s face to render her defenceless.

“She subsequently hit her head repeatedly with a big bottle of wine which grievously harmed the woman. The state Commissioner of Police, Edgal Imohimi, has decreed this act wickedness and ordered a thorough investigation and diligent prosecution of the case.”

The Chief Medical Director of LASUTH, Professor Wale Oke, said the victim was receiving treatment at the hospital.

He said, “She had a surgery yesterday, which was successful. She is, however, not out of the woods yet. She is still in a coma. We have to wait for the brain to heal from the injuries.”