By-Montage Africa Media
On Friday October, 17th Buhari had an interview with Al Jazeera’s Mehdi Hasan, the host of UpFront.
In the interview, the president Buhari said he will make good on his pledge to defeat Boko Haram by the end of the year despite a recent series of coordinated bombing attacks by the group.
The Nigerian government is prepared to negotiate for the release of more than 200 Nigerian schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram last year if the armed group can prove they are still alive, President Muhammadu Buhari told Al Jazeera on Friday.
Boko Haram had reportedly offered to free the girls in exchange for imprisoned group members.
The was not definite as to whether he would offer money or prisoners to the armed group, in exchange for the girls but instead Buhari said it would depend on negotiations with the leadership of Boko Haram.
This comes in the wake of recent attacks. At least 34 people were killed in in an overnight attacks in Borno state. But Local residents say the death toll may be as high as 60.
Meanwhile, the president still says he will make good on his promise to defeat Boko Haram by the end of the year:”As soon as the rainy season comes, which is by the end of the year…Boko Haram will virtually be out of their main stronghold and that will be the end of it…. Attacks by Boko Haram on townships, on military installations, will certainly stop,” Buhari said.
In April 2014, over 300 girls were abducted from a boarding school in the town of Chibok, Borno state, North-east of Nigeria. Till date, 219 of them remain unaccounted for.